Monday 21 May 2007

The Libertine

My latest DVD from Amazon was The Libertine with Johnny Depp in the eponymous role, the 17th century Earl of Rochester . It came out 2-3 years ago and I remember wanting to see it but never got around to it. I don't remember it being on for very long, so it slipped very quickly from view. I was intrigued by the prospect of JD playing an English aristocrat, so thought I'd catch it now.
Well, I didn't find it the most engaging of films; it sprawled about rather haphazardly, and I found myself losing concentration, dozing off at intervals. Depp was, though, extraordinary as usual, with an immaculate English accent. He did his best to carry the film, and did enough to make me decide to give it another go when I'm a bit more wide awake. So, I'll see it again before it goes back to Amazon, and produce a more considered appraisal then. I have to say it looked lovely, so will see if it's worth a second viewing.

Well, I did watch it again, not something I normally do with an Amazon DVD as I like to keep things moving, and it definitely repaid a second viewing. I was wide awake and kept my concentration this time.
Depp was in nearly every scene, and was more than adequate to the task of carrying the film. He was compelling throughout, a menacingly dangerous presence, and I liked John Malkovich as Charles II very much - I suspect he chooses these odd roles in the interests of experimentation, just to see if he can do them, and his watchful, baleful presence as the ageing 'Merry Monarch' was quite riveting, a presiding, intelligent presence, keeping a close eye on things, not giving anything away, and moving in for the kill when necessary.
The film is hard work for the audience, and it's not surprising that not many bothered to make the effort. It's the film of a play apparently, which explains its wordy script. This time I watched with subtitles, as I felt it was important to be fully aware of the dialogue, and much of it was difficult to catch. I find myself doing this quite a bit these days - I suppose my hearing isn't quite what it was, but many actors today can't, or choose not to, speak clearly.
I felt it fell apart towards the end and the grim spectacle of Rochester's descent into syphilitic decay and death was rushed through in about half an hour. JD's has a taste for the grotesque in his acting and does degeneracy very well. I liked the opening and closing scenes in which Rochester speaks directly to the camera, very much - JD carries off that sort of in-your-face performance very well.
Samantha Morton, as usual was an unglamourous, unconventional presence; compellingly intense, and the film looked lovely - shot in a colour muted to near monochrome with some nice settings that didn't overshadow the action at all, thank goodness.
So, a mixed bag. Interesting, but I can't think of many people who would enjoy it much. One for hardcore Depp fans only, I think. Of which I am one, of course.

No comments:

Film, television and book reviews, plus odd musings