Sunday 30 March 2008

Robinson in Space

This is a real original - I'd seen and taped (I still have it) London, made by the same director, Patrick Keillor around the same time, the mid-1990s, and knew that Robinson existed, so I decided to rent it from Amazon.
Well, above all, it's a period piece. Released in 1997, it chronicles a Britain on the cusp of electing a Labour Government by a landslide, after nearly 20 years of Thatcherite conservatism and the seismic changes wrought by that government. Labour was to preside over a similar level of change, but of course no-one was to know that in 1997. A kind of malaise hangs over the country but of course now we know what happened after it is loaded with unintended meaning.
Basically 'Robinson' is commissioned by an unspecified employer to investigate the 'problem' of England, and undertakes 7 journeys with his companion, the narrator, voiced by the late, great Paul Scofield. I had a look at some stuff on the web about the film, and apparently it's a contemporary version of Daniel Defoe's travels as a spy around the country in the 17th century.
Anyway, I found it a fascinating film. All it is is a series of shots of the landscape; shopping malls, factories, used and disused, bypasses, motorways, service stations, building sites, historical monuments and properties, railway stations - but also Oxbridge and Eton. The narrative tells a hidden story - visibly, the country seems to be in decline - there's dereliction everywhere. But underneath runs power, it's in the hands of the few, and it's invisible.
So there's a powerful message, but, to be honest, I was held by the images, the sort of places that
I've always loved - railway stations, places of transit, run-down city areas, I have a natural affinity with them. They make me feel comfortable in a strange way. Somehow I prefer city streets to empty landscapes, which sometimes have an undercurrent of menace. But that's just me.....
So, now for London - I saw it years ago but I've forgotten it ; I shall look forward to it with anticipation.

No comments:

Film, television and book reviews, plus odd musings