Tuesday 25 September 2007

The Good Shepherd

I, unlike most critics, found The Good Shepherd an enthralling and engrossing film, throughout it's 2 hours 40 minutes. I usually get irritated by over-long films, but this was an exception. I've just had a look at some of the reviews, and not many liked it, and some were unnecessarily abusive, especially about Matt Damon. What is it about Damon that irritates so many? I think he's getting better and better, and maturing extremely satisfactorily. The Bourne films have shown that he can do action, but even in these he retains a riveting, buttoned-up intensity. Here he's frozen by his background, his sense of duty, his father's suicide and his failed, loveless marriage, and is utterly convincing throughout.
Most of the critics found the film impossibly long and tedious, though yet again, Philip French was one of the few exceptions and appreciated the film's strengths. Yes, there's a weighty ponderousness at times, but is that such a crime? It's far outweighed by intelligence and seriousness of purpose. French likens it to the masterly TV serialisations of John Le Carre's novels and he's absolutely right.
I need to see this film again, as I watched it at home on Saturday night, and I'm always fighting sleep at this time of the week. I didn't drift off but my concentration wavered at times. I watched it with my son who found it gripping as well. Critics - gaaaahhhhh!!!!!

No comments:

Film, television and book reviews, plus odd musings