Monday 20 August 2007

The Sopranos

Although I saw it when it was on TV a while ago, I decided to watch the latest, sixth, and final series of The Sopranos on DVD, so I'm renting it from Amazon. My son, who's living with me at the moment, hadn't seen any of it, although he's seen all five of the preceding series, so it seemed like a good idea to watch it again.
Well, what can I say.....it made me want to see the whole lot again from the beginning. I've heard it compared to King Lear in its complexity, depth and range, and I can't disagree. There is so much going on in each episode - it repays repeated viewing.
Series 6 starts off conventionally, (by the Sopranos' standards) with Tony, the capo, having to deal with his ageing uncle Junior's increasing dementia, and the associated family conflicts. Junior shoots him at the end of the episode, and he is now in hospital in a coma, suffering a succession of near-death experiences which dramatise a major crisis of identity.
It's the character development that stands out - and the series' dramatisation of the way in which each generation in its turn tries to deal with the burden of the preceding generation's misdemeanours. Tony's inner life is also a major theme, and his regular visits to Dr Melfi, his psychoanalyst provide a running commentary on the action.
The language is a baroque distillation of Italian-American English, and in every episode there's a line or two that takes your breath away. I'm seriously considering getting the whole thing on DVD and watching it with the subtitles turned on as I'm sure I must have missed a great deal. Anyway - I've stayed spoiler-free, so am awaiting with huge anticipation the last half of series 6 which apparently we may get later this year, which gives us the finale. I know it's been controversial but that's all I know - what series ending isn't controversial?

No comments:

Film, television and book reviews, plus odd musings