Sunday 1 July 2007

football - the early days

It may seem strange to be talking about football in July, but in many ways it's the best time to be thinking about it. New players are being signed up, new kits are wheeled out, and the disappointments of the previous season are beginning to fade. It's a time of year when hope triumphs over expectation - supporters can dream of next season before those dreams collapse, crumbling into dust.
Many football-lovers are seriously disillusioned and disaffected by Brisith football and it's not hard to see why. The dominance of the Premier League, preposterous wage levels, the impact of television etc. etc. have led to non-renewal of season tickets and non-attendance at games. My brother, who was a huge football fan from early childhood - he attended Manchester Utd's European Cup victory at Wembley in 1968, is one of these - he now watcheds rugby. Although I don't attend matches I can't say the same, I still get a thrill when the season starts, even though I only watch games on TV these days - I suppose football's in my blood, and my interest goes a long way back
It started, I suppose when my father took me as a toddler to the ground over the road from where we lived. The club, Oxford City, played in the Isthmian League against such sides as Corinthian Casuals and Wycombe Wanderers, and attracted a pretty good crowd in those days. It meant my mother had Saturday afternoons to herself so it became a habit. I would happily occupy myself toddling up and down the terraces while my father watched the match, so I guess I absorbed the atmoosphere through a kind of osmosis. My brother who was three years younger actually played there for the school team in a primary schools' cup final, which was a great day - he still has the team photo.
I passed the 11 plus, went to a new school 'up the hill' and quickly became drawn into the orbit of Oxford United, heresy in my father's eyes - he always referred to them as 'Headington United', even though they'd changed to 'Oxford Utd' in 1960. Anyway, Utd made it to the Fifth round of the FA Cup in 1964, and beat Blackburn Rovers, who were then a top Division One side, 3-1, in a memorable match at the Manor Ground. The ground was packed and it was an incredible game. Oxford then drew Preston North End at home in the Sixth round and lost, but didn't disgrace themselves; 22,000 packed into the tiny Manor Ground and again, it was an unforgettable occasion.
I continued to go to games for couple of years, but then got a Saturday job; my football watching days were over. My interest stayed with me, though. I'll write about it again as there's plenty more to come.

No comments:

Film, television and book reviews, plus odd musings