Friday 29 June 2007

Alistair Darling

Darling was always going to be Chancellor in a Brown government and so it has proved. I've had my eye on him since Labour first came to power - I clearly remember a programme (I can't remember which channel it was on) in the summer of 1997 which consisted of a cinema-verite -style look at the Treasury as it began establishing itself. Darling was a junior Treasury minister - someone said 'We can't do that', and Darling replied 'We're the government - we can do whatever we want.' It may have been a rush of blood to his head caused by the excitement of coming to power, but it stayed with me.
There was a piece in The Times yesterday on Darling - what a nice, unassuming person he was, how unlike Blair, humble and modest etc.etc. We shall see....power does things to people. Another politician to watch, along with Miliband, though Gordon will hold on to the reins very tightly.

No comments:

Film, television and book reviews, plus odd musings